1. to clasp or hold close
2. to accept willingly or eagerly
3. to take up a new idea
4. to include as part of something broader
5. to surround, encircle or enclose
It popped into my mind, fully-formed, flashing like a neon sign – EMBRACE.
I have no real explanation for how my word-guide for 2014 found me. But there it was – and I accept it, willingly and eagerly.
To embrace – life itself, my family and friends, my art. To embrace it all, with courage and joy and gratitude.
And most difficult, to embrace myself – in all my glorious imperfection – with gentleness and forgiveness and, most of all, love.
Embrace has both an outward and inward aspect – the act of embracing and the acceptance of being embraced. When I first worked on this image, what attracted me was the idea of being dwarfed, the smaller façade overshadowed by its neighbors. But now I see this photograph as a metaphor for myself – being surrounded and supported and held close – with plenty of open sky in which to soar.
Here’s to embracing 2014 – in all its dazzling wonder.
Texture Tuesday Processing – Photoshop CC
Correct perspective distortion and clone out the roof-top antenna
- Process the CoffeeShop Blog Honey Retro action, which adds the retro toning
- Process my midtone contrast action to bring out the details in the architectural flourishes
- Add the Xanthe texture, blend mode = Multiply
- Add a Layers adjustment to increase the overall contrast, especially in the highlights
Below is the original image and the Photoshop layers palette:
Linking with Texture Tuesday, hosted by Kim Klassen